Sunday, May 6, 2007

Last Night at Denny's

SO...last night I went to Denny's and witnessed my own little scene of Stone Butch Blues! As I walk in I noticed that there are two stone butch women waiting to be seated. Once I was seated I realized that they were sitting at the table next to mine. Later, some high school kids who seemed to have come from prom, sat at the table to my right. Once the ladies began to leave, I heard a comment from the high school kids. They ask, "is that a girl or a boy?" This automatically brings me back to the novel. It's interesting to see this happen in today's society. A society that claims to be more progressive. The reality is that people are accustomed only to things they have been previously exposed to. If they haven't been exposed to seeing stone butches, then they will wonder what the sex of a stone butch might be. These situations make me feel that people should be open minded to anything.
I personally did not enjoy reading this book. I felt like it focuses on mostly the negative aspects of being a stone butch. Also, it was extremely repetative, which made it disturbing and boring! Besides that, it opened my eyes on what women went through in that period. It must be difficult to identify with a different gender, when there is so much discrimination in this world. I can't imagine having to go through that type of agony.

No comments: