Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Maurice/Halperin

In reading Halperin's writings I gathered that he believes in Ancient Greece homosexuality was more about power than sexual preference. Someone who lived back then if they lived in present day maybe would not have acted on the same behavior because maybe they were not truly homosexual, they simply had the power to sleep with whomever they pleased. When I was reading Halperon's proposal I was thinking of what I read in the first half of Maurice and man did the times change. Hundreds of years prior to Maurice sleeping with young boy or men was a sign of power and superiority and nobody thought ill of it, however if you fast-forward to the early 1900's being homosexual is not only a sin but a crime. I think the Ancient Atheniens were much more liberal and as the years went on society just got really uptight. My main feeling on this thesis is confusion mixed with some disagreance. However, when it come to my feelings on Maurice I agree and relate a lot more. I think the novel is really accurate in portraying what life really would have been like for a gay man back in the 1900's, living a secret life, not being able to be with the one he loved and just being really confused about life and why he was the was he was. I really felt for the character when I was reading the first two parts because I can only imagine how difficult it would be living in a world where you can't be yourself becuase people are ignorrant as hell. I really don't feel as if Maurice is portrayed in a positive light in the novel or the film, the author writes him as sort of a selfish, frantic, depressed sort of character who doesn't treat women very well, including his mother and sisters. I really do sympathize with Maurice, I think it would be really hard to be a happy positive person if you were surrounded by a world who would reject you if they knew your secret, your true identity.

No comments: