Wednesday, February 7, 2007

another week, another title

Well, I personally enjoyed reading the play "the importance of being earnest." Far better than any other play I have read. I like that humor was present all throughout the entire way of the play. It kept me wanting more and more and I coulnd't turn the pages fast enough. I found it funny after reading the play that given its title the play was about two guys who wern't earnest at all.

Once again we see how much impact society has on the decisions of others. It seems present that the social status of Algy and Jack vs. Gwendolen and Cecily had everything to do with them getting together and being married. Lady Bracknell cares the most in this respect. Even though Jack had the right credentials for Lady Bracknell to marry Gwendolen, he still couldn't simply because he was found in a bag at the train station and didn't have the proper background. How dumb is that!?

It was obvious that in both situations true love wasn't there at all in the start of things. Both women were in love with a name instead of the man himself. Gwendolen was in love with Jack because she had fallen in love with his name being Ernest and Cecily had loved because of the name Ernest even before she had met the man behind the name. But, like we talked about last week in class, nobody really likes to see a perfect story all the way through. We want to see the troubles and hardships first before we get to the perfect ending and so was the case for me in this play. I was happy to see a happy ending.

And I can't wait for class to discuss the second half of Plato because i'm a little lost in respect to exactly what they were trying to say. A lot was said in what seem to me the hardest way to say it so i'm looking forward to clearing that up.

No comments: