Sunday, March 18, 2007

Comparison of the book and film of Interview with a Vampire

From watching the movie I didn’t feel that there was too much different. Yes of course the movie didn’t give you all the scenes that are in the book, but it did convey the struggle that happens internally for all the characters and the struggle that existed amongst them all. What I was surprised to see is that they didn’t censor out too much of the feelings of love and hate that exist between Louis, Lestat, Claudia, and Armand.

A scene from the book that I would have liked to see how cinema would have portrayed would be the relationship between Louis and Babette. In fact, considering on how cinema likes to use heterosexual tension in film, I was surprised that they didn’t use any of that material. I can only imagine that it would have taken up too much of the video to focus on the real struggle, so in the end I’m glad they didn’t waste time on it.

One of the things that I did notice that they seemed to alter was Louis’s personality. In the book I kept feeling what a sad weak character he was, always so afraid and worrisome. In the movie you can see that Louis, Brad Pitt, does struggle, but yet he does it in such a masculine way. At times I would think of Louis as a coward when it came to dealing with Lestat, Claudia, or his inner struggles. I thought this mostly because through the book I could read his inner thoughts, so maybe if I was able to read the movies Louis, then maybe I would have felt those same things conveyed.

As an overall summary I would say that I did enjoy the movie just as much as I enjoyed the book. I felt it kept a similar story line and didn’t leave out the feelings of love and hate that struggles all through out the book. I wasn’t too surprised that they had Brad Pitt portray a more masculine and secure character since he was, for most, the focus of desire in the film.

No comments: