Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Pointe du Lacan?

I don't know why I'm so fascinated with the ideas of lack and absence. I just can't help it.
And I can't help seeing it all through Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire.
Pointe du Lac, for example. Louis's home, and the place where Lestat "vampirizes" him. See, if you loosely transliterate Pointe du Lac, it reads as "point of lack" or "place of lack." I believe I brought this up in class. There's more to it, though.
Remember Lacan? French psychoanalyst, had the idea that desire is fueled by the subject's lack of the Other; in Lacan's case, desire is the desire for what the subject lacks--seems Lacan is channeling the ancient Greeks, methinks.
I won't go here into the realm of Lacanian castration fantasies or anything--fear not. Back on topic, if Pointe du Lac reflects the "point of lack" for vampires, what is lacking, what is absent? Christ, they're immortal! Shouldn't everything be theirs?
And there it is: immortality--vampires can't physically change. They lack change. A mighty absence, I'll say, seeing as a body's physical change is integral and inseparable from understandings of sexuality. And Rice certainly paints her revenants as sexual beings. Sexual beings, yes, whose locus of sexuality circles around the desire for blood. If we were to categorize, does this make vampires "hemosexuals?" Ha! Just kidding. A desire for blood is as easily sated as a desire for change is hopeless--a "point of lack."
Bodily changes for vampires stagnate, but their minds change, develop, mature. This is the case with Claudia, the grown mind in stunted flesh, and she's pissed about it--"To give me immortality in this hopeless guise, this helpless form!" she accuses of Louis.
And Claudia's ominous obsession with dolls? I thought this one of the creepier angles in the story, and not simply due to my feeling that all dolls are somewhat eerie. Back, Barbie! I've got a Zippo!
Claudia and the dolls bring back the lack. Dolls can't change; like the vampires, they are physically fixed in time and space. Fixed, yes, unless they are destroyed. Once again, just like the vampires, destruction is their only path of physical change. A lack of existence equates a death of lack.
Perhaps this is why there is so much foreboding when Claudia says "I want to burn the doll shop!" Foreshadowing what happens to the Theatre des Vampires, I know, but it also reflects and inverts what Roland Barthes--aaargh!, more theory!--said about toys--read: dolls--as a coded microcosm of the real world. Any lack or absence detected in the real world is similarly represented in a microcosm of play. A burning doll shop=a burning theatre rather than a burning theatre=a burning doll shop. Claudia spins Barthes to kill the lack, the absence.
Seems I'm not the only one with an itchy Zippo finger.

No comments: