Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Transylvania Tango

Naturally, I read and watched Interview with the Vampire looking for the relevance to gender. While both looked at mortality through the eyes of an immortal, and gave some interesting insight into all that immortality brings, it seems that the film skirted some sexual and gender issues that the novel developed more. I must admit that I have never been a fan of horror and more specifically vampires. IWTV is tolerable because it deals with some interesting twists on the human condition. But what of the gender issues? Hmm . . . There seems to be a bit of Maurice/Durham dynamic going on with Lestat/Louis: implied homo-eroticism and bisexuality. The whole oral fixation with sucking blood is, well . . . do the math. Then there is the resentment/affection and the struggle for power. I dunno, maybe it is just that I am not into the whole Dracula thing that I find it difficult to ferret out the DEEP MEANING.

No comments: