Sunday, March 18, 2007

Eros: The God of Expectation

As I was reading Interview with a Vampire I found myself highlighting many things that touched on similar topics in Eros the Bittersweet. Love is definitely a fickle thing. It’s almost like no matter what side of the fence you are on you always feel like the other side might be a little greener, even if you’ve already jumped back and forth to each side already. I notice this in a lot of people. When some people are single they begin to hate it and crave love and affection, but then when they find someone they do love the security it brings yet also resent the person for the relationships confinement.
When it comes to hate and love I don’t feel that it is all directed to one particular part of the relationship. They could love the person, yet hate the relationship. Please remember I’m not saying this applies to everyone, but in some way it may be relatable to all. You can love a person and hate or dislike parts of their personality, behaviors, and attitudes. This love that I am referring to doesn’t have to be towards a romantic relationship, it could apply to friends, family, or even somewhat strangers. No one is perfect or exempt from flaws.
I could feel the same struggle over this topic in both Eros the Bittersweet and Interview with a Vampire. Poor Lestat, he was doomed from the start. He did have a love for life, but hated the pain that it could bring and this is the whole struggle with Eros. My mind is still boggled from trying to comprehend this oxymoron, but yet in ways it does make sense. For Lestat he loved Louis for his creation and guidance, but yet also hated him at the same time because of his lack of appreciation for his gift. Also, before he became a vampire he loved the idea of escaping his pain and becoming something more, but once he was able to obtain this gift he did love it for some of its ability yet he also hated it for what else it brought to him.
It seems that we are never happy with what we have. We desire and desire and desire so much more than what we have, but only to realize that once we have it that it is not all that we imagined. I think we are just in love with dreaming, because some things can never be as good as in our dreams. There we have control of the outcome. If only we could be more realistic and withhold our expectations and maybe than love wouldn’t bring so much disappointment and hate. I guess Eros could also represent expectations. Most expectations bring hope and sometimes bitter disappointment when they don’t go as we wish.
*Sorry for the delay in my post, this applies for week 03/07/2007*

1 comment:

tinkerbell said...

Quick note: I am so sorry for my mistake I just realized that I kept writing Lestat instead of Louis.