Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Now its my turn to complain

How does everyone feel after reading the book? Do you feel better about yourself? Heck I do. Its tough not too. Her(or should I say his?) story makes my life seem easy. Also makes me think twice before complaining, but after thinking about it for a second time, I'm going to.Here we see Jess go through one bad experience after another. Relationship after relationship falls apart. The trips to the bars and clubs always go wrong. They usually end in someone going to jail and getting beaten up or raped, which changes their lives forever. Friends are constantly disappearing because they can't take the abusive lifestyle anymore. And we can't forget the struggle of finding and keeping a job. A sucky job at that. These jobs involve hard labor, harsh working environments and crappy bosses. And to put you down even more, the thought of advancement or a raise at your job is impossible and hopeless.

I found the novel quite depressing. Like I said, there was one bad experience after another. And I guess that's the life of a butch, especially during those times, but I just needed something positive to happen or look forward to while reading. There was nothing to hold onto. Of course that never really came. She never had much hope and thus neither did I. I also found the novel repetitive. It didn't take long to get used to the routine. She met someone new, went to the bar, either got or witnessed a beating, and then it was time to complain about work. So this is me complaining.

No comments: